A protein packed, super healthy salad, you can also eat for lunch. Moreover it’s vegan, gluten free and dairy free!
OK, what can I say about this salad?
– Is it delicious?
– Is it healthy?
– You bet!
– Is it fresh?
– Is it easy?
– Is it filling?
– Again, yes!
– Is it plant based?
A lot of you probably know that buckwheat has a lot of health benefits. It is actually a fruit seed, not a grain, and is gluten free. Among other things, it can help to better control your blood sugar levels (and therefore your hunger), it’s good for your cardiovascular system since its consumption is linked with lowered risk of developing high cholesterol and high blood pressure, and is rich in fiber and protein. And the astonishing (at least for me) thing is that lentils have also similar health benefits! Combining these two superfoods with some vegetables, a little fresh lemon juice and olive oil, you get the best of all worlds.
I usually make this recipe during summer, because it’s very fresh and light but also filling. You can eat it warm, but if you let it sit for some time in the refrigerator, all the flavors blend together and it becomes even tastier with more depth of flavor. Sometimes I eat it plain, and other times when I want even more protein I eat it with some chicken or fish. Now that I think of it, it will pair really well with this simple turkey roll.
Guys, BE CAREFUL. Every time I make this salad, I can’t stop eating it. There have been times that I started eating it from the bowl and before I knew it, the bowl was empty. And I usually make 4-6 portions, because I want to have some for the next day also…
Please, make this salad! It is a power food! After one or two spoons you will feel like a super hero! You will have enough energy to hit the gym, pick the kids from school, clean the house, do the laundry, iron that forgotten clothes at the back of your wardrobe… OK, I may exaggerate, but not much!
The recipe itself is very easy and simple.You only have to be a little carefull not to overcook the lentils. You want them to have a little bite. Enjoy!
- 1 cup buckwheat
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup lentils
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1 cup mixed vegetables diced (I use a frozen mix of peppers, carrots, corn and peas)
- ½ cup sliced olives (I use kalamata olives)
- 1 cup sliced scallions
- 1 cup chopped parsley
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 2 - 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a pot, saute buckwheat with one tablespoon olive oil, until it starts smelling nutty.
- Add 3 cups water and boil until it begins to burst (you will see the white part peeking through the shell) and drain it.
- Boil lentils with one bay leaf until tender. Add vegetable mix and boil for 2 more minutes. Drain. Discard bay leaf.
- In a big bowl, mix all the ingredients and serve warm or cold.