A simple, easy and healthy Mediterranean & mayo-less potato salad, perfect for a plant based diet! Gluten free and vegan!
Are there times when you run all kinds of errands, all morning, and when it’s finally time for lunch you have no idea what to make? Αt least tell me you had this smoothie in the morning to boost your day! Usually for me this happens on the weekends! During the week, and because of my job and my full schedule, I can’t afford not to be well organized. So, I plan ahead and make a list of all my meals and the groceries I’m going to need. But the weekend… Well, that’s a totally different story… During the weekend I get to do all the things I didn’t had the chance the previous days. I’m sure you can think a few. Cleaning the house, doing the laundry, shopping, testing recipes and seeing my friends are some of them. And because these two days of the week end up being chaotic, there are times -usually around noon- when I have to face the question: WHAT am I gonna eat now? If you’re like me, and prefer to cook your own food, then you know that takeout is not an option. So, this Mediterranean mayo-less potato salad with a fresh and healthy dressing is the perfect answer to the above question!
Guys, look at those ingredients! Don’t they make you feel happy?
It’s quick – while the potatoes are boiling you prep everything else – easy, tasty and healthy! (Need I add gluten free, vegan and perfect for a plant based diet?)
But there is a secret here: you must combine everything while the potatoes are still HOT. That way they’ll absorb all of the flavors from the rest of the ingredients, becoming irresistible! Eat it warm and get the energy you need to continue your day, or make a little more and serve it as a cold side dish with dinner.
Need a lunch with some protein? Add one or two hard boiled eggs, or eat it with a can of tuna or sardines (omega fats are always a nice addition). Are you vegan? Throw in some crushed nuts for extra crunch and flavor!
No matter what you’ll add, this Mediterranean mayo-less potato salad will become a favorite! 🙂
- 2 pounds potatoes, about 900 grams to 1kg, your favorite variety
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 1 cup peas
- 1 cup diced peppers, your favorite colors
- 1 cup chopped parsley
- 1 cup chopped scallions
- Zest of half lemon
- Juice of one or two lemons
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Peel the potatoes, cut in pieces and place in a pot with cold water. Open the heat and boil until a fork pierces through them without difficulty. Drain.
- In the meantime, put the peas in a small pot of boiling water and cook for about two minutes. Drain.
- Place all the ingredients in a big bowl and mix well. Taste and adjust seasonings, lemon juice and olive oil.
- I like to smash the potatoes a bit, just to have different textures.