A delicious cookie recipe with lots of flavor!
I know I have yet to publish a big, soft chocolate chip cookie with a gooey center and nice caramelized edges, full of chocolate chips that melt slowly in your mouth, giving you some of the rarest pleasures in life. And with the entire internet being overwhelmed with so many good recipes for chocolate chip cookies, I wonder if it’s any use to post another one. But then, I quickly come to my senses and I say to myself: There’s always room for another chocolate chip cookie recipe! So, keep in touch because I owe you one… But for the time being, I’m posting these crispy and crunchy pistachio cookies with big chunks of chocolate, because real chocolate can’t be missing from a cookie! Except if we’re talking about these traditional, dairy free and naturally vegan, olive oil and sesame cookies 🙂
These cookies are very light and crunchy because part of the flour is replaced with corn flour. Since corn flour has no gluten, it doesn’t form strong bonds within the dough, giving the cookies a really nice, delicate texture. The pistachios and chocolate chunks provide nice contrast and a lot of flavor! For this recipe, you can play with the form of pistachios in order to get different results. For this post I chose to keep the pistachios whole because they give a “rough” look to the cookies, making them more interesting visually. But to be honest, I prefer them roughly chopped (with a knife) or even very finely chopped (I use a food processor for this). The more finely you chop them, the more intense their flavor and greener their color!
Another good thing about this recipe is that you can make combinations with the pistachios and the chocolate chunks and get three or even four different types of cookies! Prior to adding the nuts and chocolate, you can divide the dough into two, three or even four parts and make the following varieties:
- Plain vanilla cookies (no nuts, no chocolate)
- Chocolate chunk cookies (only chocolate)
- Pistachio cookies (only pistachios)
- Chocolate and pistachio cookies (both nuts and chocolate)
And of course, if you don’t like or don’t have pistachios, use whatever nuts you like! The possibilities are endless!
Use room temperature ingredients and soft butter (or even margarine – with a slightly different result in taste – but please check that the margarine you use has no hydrogenated fats) for better creaming.
Use roasted nuts for more intense and nutty flavor!
Use icing sugar for a more tender result.
If you have some leftover pistachios, use them in this super healthy and super tasty green smoothie.
Once you add the flour don’t overwork the dough. It will result in tough cookies.
Add a pinch of cinnamon. You won’t be able to taste it, but it will give your cookies depth of flavor and some extra warmness!
If you also like cakes, this everyday chocolate sprinkled vanilla bundt cake will make your day!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ⅔ cups corn starch
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup roasted pistachios (chopped)
- ½ cup chocolate chunks
- A pinch of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C) and line a pan with baking paper.
- In a bowl mix the flour, corn flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- In another bowl beat butter and sugar with an electric mixer until pale and very fluffy.
- Add the egg and vanilla beat until combined.
- Add the flour mixture and mix with a spatula.
- Add the nuts and the chocolate and mix until just combined.
- Forms balls the size of small walnuts and place them on the pan, leaving some space between them.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown and fragrant.
- Cool on a rack and store in an airtight container.
Don’t lose it, Pin it!