One bowl easy recipe for delicious savory breakfast muffins with cheese, ham, olive oil and tomato sauce. They taste just like pizza!
These pizza flavored savory muffins are one of my favorite recipes and perfect for breakfast or brunch.
It's also one of the recipes I often get asked to make, when I want to bring some food to a party or potluck.
And I really don't mind because once you gather all of the ingredients, it's very easy to make.
To make this easy recipe you'll need:
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Ground black pepper
- Dried oregano
- Olive oil
- Grated cheese (such as parmesan, cheddar, gruyere)
- Black olives (I prefer Kalamata olives)
- Thick tomato paste
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
You can also use whole wheat flour to make these muffins healthier. They're just as delicious!
These savory muffins are perfect for children parties. Many times I also add 1 cup finely chopped red bell pepper to the batter, just to make them more nutritious.
Follow this easy step by step guide for how to make delicious savory breakfast muffins:
Step 1: Mix the dry ingredients
Transfer the dry ingredients to a large bowl and mix to combine.
Step 2: Add the liquids
Make a well in the center of the bowl and add all of the liquid ingredients.
Whisk until almost combined.
Step 3: Finish the batter and fill the muffin liners
Add the cheese, the ham and the olives and mix. Then, divide the batter into 12 muffin cups.
Step 4: Make the tomato sauce
Transfer all the ingredients for the sauce to a small bowl and mix with a spoon.
Top each muffin with a tablespoon of the tomato sauce and sprinkle with a bit of grated cheese and the olives.
Step 5: Bake
Bake the muffins for 25-30 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
To sum up:
These muffins are cheesy, full of umami flavor from the cheese and the olives, full of healthy fat from the olive oil and smell just like pizza.
Once you make them, you'll be asked to make them many more times.
Store at room temperature inside a well sealed airtight container and consume within 2 days.
If you want to keep them for mare days, store in the fridge and let them come to room temperature before serving.
Savory breakfast muffins recipe (pizza flavor)
For the muffins
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- Pinch of ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 ¼ cups grated cheese (parmesan, sharp cheddar, or naxos gruyere)
- 1 cup ham, cut in small cubes
- ½ cup kalamata black olives
For the tomato sauce
- ⅓ cup thick tomato paste
- ¼ cup water
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- a pinch of salt
For the toppings
- ½ cup grated cheese
- ¼ cup black olives
- Preheat your oven to 340˚F (170 ˚C) and line a muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- Transfer the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, black pepper, and dried oregano to a large bowl and mix to combine.
- Make a well in the center and add the beaten egg, the milk, the vinegar and the olive oil.Whisk until almost combined. Add the cheese, the ham and the olives and mix. Don’t overmix or the muffins will be tough.
- Divide the batter into 12 muffin cups. An ice cream scoop helps to achieve even portions.Wet the back of a spoon and flatten their surface.
- Make the tomato sauce: Transfer all the ingredients for the sauce to a small bowl and mix with a spoon.
- Top each muffin with a tablespoon of the tomato sauce. Sprinkle with a bit of grated cheese and the olives.
- Bake the muffins for 25-30 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.Leave on a rack to cool.