A simple chocolate mousse recipe made with dark, milk and white chocolate and whipped cream, to be served as a delicious chocolate dessert.
Every time I hear or speak the word chocolate my heart skips a bit. My pupils start to dilate, the blood rushes through my veins and my breathing becomes faster. Imagine what happens when I say triple chocolate mousse!!!
This is an egg-free recipe, meaning is made without eggs. It uses only whipping cream to make the mousse fluffy and light.
This is a perfect recipe for small parties and celebrations like Valentine's Day but make sure to check more Valentine's Day recipes if you're searching for what to make for your other half.
For this chocolate mousse dessert recipe with whipped cream you'll need the following simple ingredients:
- Dark chocolate 55% cocoa or more, chopped
- Real white chocolate, chopped
- Heavy cream, 35% fat
- White sugar
- Ground cinnamon
- Vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
This recipe is very easy – even more than these no-bake white chocolate oreo tarts.
Plus, you also get to do some magic: with two kinds of chocolate – dark and white – you will make three different flavors of chocolate mousse (dark, milk and white chocolate mousse).
- Melt the dark chocolate with some cream.
- Whip the rest of the heavy cream until soft peaks form.
- Fold the whipped cream into the melted dark chocolate (yay, this is your dark chocolate mousse).
- Repeat the above steps for the white chocolate to make white chocolate mousse.
- Mix some of the dark chocolate mousse with some of the white chocolate mousse to make milk chocolate mousse.
- Divide the 3 different types of chocolate mousse between serving bowls and chill in the fridge until serving.
As already stated, this recipe is made with whipping cream and without eggs. Cream compliments the chocolate flavor, mellows the aggressiveness of cocoa solids and transform it into something divine.
There are a lot of modern recipes that use more healthy ingredients such as avocados, plant-based creams, dates and other stuff, and I too, use them sometimes. BUT, adding them to a mousse like this, changes the chocolate’s true flavor. And we don’t want that. So stick to cream.
As long as the cream contains 35% fat (or a bit more) you're good to go. This type of cream is known as heavy cream or whipping cream, because when you whip it (it has to be very cold) it increases in volume and becomes light and fluffy.
If you add a bit of sugar and vanilla extract you basically have chantilly cream.
There are a lot of ways to serve this chocolate dessert.
I usually serve it inside glasses, small bowls or coffee cups.
Top with chocolate shavings, whipped cream or fresh fruit for a more decadent dessert.
Keep the mousse inside the refrigerator, well wrapped with plastic wrap (or in an airtight container) and consume within 3-4 days.
Please share this post if you liked it and give it a star rating if you make it!
Triple chocolate mousse dessert with whipped cream
- 1 electric mixer
For the dark chocolate mousse
- 5.3 oz (150 grams) dark chocolate 55% cocoa or more, chopped
- ½ cup minus 1 tablespoon (100 grams) heavy cream, 35% fat (you will melt this with the chocolate)
- 1 tablespoon (10 grams) sugar
- Pinch of salt
- ⅔ cup (150 grams) very cold heavy cream 35% fat (you will whip this)
For the white chocolate mousse
- 4.6 oz (130 grams) real white chocolate, chopped (you will melt this with the chocolate)
- ¼ cup (60 grams) heavy cream, 35% fat
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- Pinch of salt
- ⅓ cup (85 grams) very cold heavy cream 35% fat (you will whip this)
- In the microwave or in a double boiler melt together all of the ingredients for the dark chocolate mousse except for the very cold cream. Stir to homogenize and let the mixture cool.
- Whip the cold cream until soft peaks form and gently fold in the chocolate mixture.
- Do the same for the white chocolate mousse.
- Take 110 grams (about ¾ cup) from each mousse and mix gently in a separate bowl to form the milk chocolate mousse.
- Divide the dark chocolate mousse into 6 glasses, small bowls or coffee cups. Gently spoon the milk chocolate mousse over each cup and repeat with the white chocolate mousse.Serve with some chocolate shavings.